Using a blog can drive a considerable amount of traffic to your site, which can result in more revenue and a stronger bond with your customers and staff. A study by Hubspot found eighty-one percent of companies consider their blogs "useful," "important," or "critical" to their business.
Are you blogging for your business?
When I first connect with a new client, I conduct an extensive content marketing audit. One thing I often discover is a neglected company blog. There is nothing worse than a blog with the last post from months or even years ago. Excuses can vary from not having the resources or ideas, to not having the time to compose blog posts. In fact, we just launched a service to help you with original, optimized, blog content for your company blog.
If you are stuck with your blog, or you are seeking ways to improve it, don't miss this valuable advice. I reached out to several blogging experts to share their best tips for creating great content for your business blog.
10 Expert Tips for Business Blogging Success
1. Quantity over quality. That doesn't mean bad or unprofessional grammar. It means stop waiting for the perfect blog post. There is always something to write about: New hires, company culture, product details, upcoming events and conferences, executive team profiles ... I could go on and on. - John Ellis, @johnwellis.
2. Spend more time writing the headline than the post itself. - John Michael Morgan, @johnmorgan.
3. 80/20 Rule = spend 20% of your time creating the content and 80% of your time distributing it. - Bill Faeth, @bfaeth.
4. Dig deeper into a topic. Don't write the same My Topic 101 stuff as every other business blogger out there. Show yourself as the expert, not the person who skimmed a couple other blogs before writing your own article. - Erik Deckers, @edeckers.
5. Don't get too chummy. Find a tone somewhere between formal and conversational. - Angela Misri, @karmicangel.
6. Dedicate time each week to reviewing your existing blog content performance. Setup a monthly testing plan to ensure you are continually optimizing. - Suzanne Kline Coblentz, @scoblentz.
7. Ask your community for help with guest blogging. You get expertise from someone else and they do the writing for you! - Courtenay D. Rogers, @courtenayrogers.
8. Spellcheck and proofread (get capable help if needed). Just a few typos can ruin an otherwise excellent post and undermine your credibility with readers. - Hunter Boyle, @hunterboyle.
9. Never publish a piece of content you are not proud of. A blog post is often the starting point of the relationship with a potential customer. Put your best foot forward. - Ian Cleary, @IanCleary.
10. Don't know what to write about or think your business can't blog? Start with FAQs about your business and industry. Write a blog post to answer each of those questions. It's stuff your customers will value and it's the stuff your customer searches for on Google. - Liz Jostes, @LizJostes.
Your blog is the heart and soul of your business
Your company site is like a brochure, while your blog is the heart and soul of your business. Create content about your industry, your business, and your people. If you need assistance with content, let me know. We might have just the solution to help get your company blog started or resuscitated. Here are the details.
This article originally appeared in The Tennessean Newspaper.
Get more done with our free daily goals doc. Grab a copy now.